LMIA in a High-Wage Position

Frequently Asked Questions


Are you interested in working in Canada as a temporary foreign worker in a high-wage position? Service Canada is responsible for processing and approving applications for temporary foreign workers. In this guide, we will walk you through the requirements and process for applying to Service Canada for a high-wage position.

A worker can be issued a temporary work permit valid for 3 years under this program. 

Additionally, the work permit can be used by the worker to benefit their permanent residency application. Specifically, the worker can claim arranged employment for Express Entry, boosting the worker’s score by 50 or 200 points, depending on the seniority of the position. 

Requirements for Temporary Foreign Workers

To be eligible for a temporary foreign worker program in Canada, you must meet certain requirements. These requirements include:

  1. Job Offer: You must have a valid job offer from a Canadian employer. The job offer should include details such as the job title, job description, wages, and the duration of employment.

  2. Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA): In most cases, your employer must obtain an LMIA from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) before you can apply for a work permit. An LMIA assesses the impact of hiring a foreign worker on the Canadian labour market.

  3. Wages: For a high-wage position, you must be offered a wage that meets or exceeds the median hourly wage for the occupation in the specific geographic area where you will be working.

  4. Education and Experience: Depending on the occupation, you may need to provide evidence of education or work experience related to the job. This requirement ensures that you have the necessary skills and qualifications for the position.

  5. Language Proficiency: You may be required to demonstrate proficiency in English or French, depending on the job requirements and the province where you will be working.

Process for Applying to Service Canada

Once you have met the requirements mentioned above, you can proceed with the application process for a temporary foreign worker position through Service Canada. Here are the general steps involved:

  1. Job Offer and LMIA: Your Canadian employer must apply for an LMIA to Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC). The LMIA process involves demonstrating that there are no Canadians or permanent residents available to fill the position. Once the LMIA is approved, your employer will provide you with a copy of the positive LMIA along with the job offer.

  2. Completing the Application: You will need to complete the appropriate application form for a work permit. The form may vary depending on whether you are applying from outside Canada or within the country. Ensure that you provide accurate information and include all required documents.

  3. Pay the Fees: There is a processing fee for the work permit application. Check the official Service Canada website for the most up-to-date fee information and payment methods.

  4. Submit the Application: Submit your completed application, along with the supporting documents and fees, to the appropriate Service Canada office. If you are applying from outside Canada, you may need to submit your application to a visa office or application center.

  5. Wait for Processing: Service Canada will review your application, including the job offer, LMIA, and supporting documents. The processing time may vary depending on various factors, such as the volume of applications and your country of residence.

  6. Receive Decision: Once a decision has been made on your application, Service Canada will notify you. If your application is approved, you will receive a work permit that specifies the duration of your employment and any conditions attached to your permit.

  7. Travel to Canada: After receiving your work permit, you can make arrangements to travel to Canada. Make sure to carry all the necessary documents, including your passport, work permit, and any additional documents required.

  8. Arriving in Canada: Upon arrival in Canada, you will go through the immigration process at the port of entry. The border officer will verify your documents and may ask you questions about your stay in Canada. It’s important to have all your documents readily available and be prepared to answer any questions truthfully.

  9. Work in Canada: Once you have entered Canada and received your work permit, you can begin working in the high-wage position specified in your job offer. It’s important to adhere to the conditions and regulations outlined in your work permit, such as the duration of employment and any restrictions or limitations.

  10. Renewal or Extension: If you wish to extend your stay or continue working in Canada after your work permit expires, you will need to apply for a renewal or extension. It’s advisable to start the process well in advance of your permit’s expiration to ensure continuity of employment.

It’s important to note that the application process and requirements may vary depending on your specific circumstances, the province in which you will be working, and any updates or changes to Canadian immigration policies. It’s recommended to consult the official website of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) or seek professional guidance to ensure you have the most accurate and up-to-date information.

In conclusion, applying to Service Canada for a temporary foreign worker position in a high-wage occupation involves meeting specific requirements, obtaining an LMIA, completing the application, paying the fees, and submitting the necessary documents. Once approved, you can travel to Canada, work in your designated position, and consider extending your stay if desired. 

Seek Legal Expertise: Hire a Reliable Law Firm Today

Don’t let legal challenges burden you any longer. Take action now and hire our reliable law firm to handle your legal needs. Contact us today to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced lawyers. During the consultation, we will listen to your concerns, assess the merits of your case, and provide you with a clear understanding of the legal options available to you.

Mandelbaum Immigration Lawyers can conduct an assessment for you. Simply provide us with your name, email address and phone number by emailing us at info@dmandelbaum.com, and our office will contact you to arrange a consultation with a lawyer.

Remember, seeking legal expertise is a crucial step in safeguarding your rights and achieving favorable outcomes. Put your trust in our reputable law firm and let us navigate the legal complexities on your behalf. We look forward to serving you and providing you with exceptional legal representation.

Table of Contents

Not found


Request a Consultation with our Professionals.



Request a Consultation with our Professionals.