TN Work Visa
Are you interested in obtaining a TN (Treaty National) work visa? The TN visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows citizens of Canada and Mexico, who are professionals in certain fields, to enter the United States to work for a U.S. employer for a specific period of time. If you are a citizen of Canada or Mexico and you are looking to work in the U.S. in a qualifying profession, a TN visa may be a good option for you.
How do I qualify for a TN visa?
To qualify for a TN visa, you must be a citizen of Canada or Mexico and have a job offer from a U.S. employer in a profession that is on the TN visa eligible professions list.
More specifically, to qualify for a TN visa, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be a citizen of Canada or Mexico.
- You must be coming to the U.S. to work in a qualifying profession, which includes a wide range of fields such as engineering, law, medicine, and teaching, among others.
- You must have a job offer from a U.S. employer in a qualifying profession.
- You must have the required education and/or work experience for the position.
- The position must require a professional in the field and the job duties must be consistent with the profession.
What do I need to apply for a TN visa?
To begin the process of obtaining a TN visa, you must first have a job offer from a U.S. employer in an eligible occupation. Some examples of professions that are on the TN visa eligible professions list include:
- Computer Systems Analyst
- Management Consultant
Once you have a job offer, your U.S. employer will need to provide a letter of support that outlines the terms of your employment and confirms that your position is on the TN visa eligible occupations list. This letter will be submitted to the U.S. consulate along with your TN visa application.
What are the requirements for a TN visa?
In addition to having a job offer and a letter of support from your employer, there are several other requirements that you must meet in order to qualify for a TN visa. These include:
- Having the necessary educational qualifications or professional licenses for your occupation. For example, if you are applying for a TN visa as an accountant, you must have a bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field and be licensed as a certified public accountant (CPA) in your home country.
- Being able to demonstrate that you will be working in the United States on a temporary basis. TN visas are nonimmigrant visas, which means that they are intended for temporary work assignments. You will need to provide evidence that you have a permanent residence in your home country and that you intend to return there after your work assignment in the United States is completed.
- Having all of the necessary documentation to support your TN visa application. This may include a copy of your job offer letter, your resume or CV, copies of your educational qualifications or professional licenses, and any other supporting documents that are required by the U.S. consulate where you will be applying for your TN visa.
How do I apply for a TN visa?
If you meet these requirements, you can begin the process of applying for a TN visa. Here are the recommended steps for obtaining a TN visa:
- Gather the necessary documents and information, including proof of your citizenship, proof of your job offer and qualifications.
- Complete the appropriate visa application forms and pay the required fees.
- Schedule an interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country, if required.
- Attend the interview and provide the necessary documents and information to the consular officer, if applicable, during which you will need to explain why you are qualified for a TN visa.
If your TN visa application is approved, you will be issued a TN visa that will allow you to enter the United States and begin working for your U.S. employer in your eligible occupation.
Can Canadian citizens apply for a TN visa at a port-of-entry?
Citizens of Canada may apply for a TN visa at specific ports-of-entry designated by US Customs and Border Protection and the Department of Homeland Security. You may need to pre-arrange an interview at one of these ports-of-entry before applying.
Canadian citizens may also apply at a U.S. embassy or consulate.
How can a U.S. immigration attorney help me apply for a TN visa?
Mandelbaum Immigration Lawyers can conduct a TN visa assessment for you. We can guide you on whether your job offer qualifies, inform you what specific documents are needed for your case, prepare your application or employer petition, submit your application and prepare you for your visa interview.